Friday, January 8, 2010

RESORT REVIEW: Sol Luna y Mares

Trip Date: September 2007
Location: Holguin, Cuba

Beach Junkies Rating: (based on 5 stars)
Beach: 5 / Food: 3 / Rooms: 3 / Pools: 2 / Snorkeling: 5


The beach at Sol Luna y Mares

Let me start off by saying that the first 3 days of my vacation at this resort, I had a problem with my bathtub and sink not draining, the AC in my room was leaking and one night I came back at 11pm to my room only to find that there was no power in it. Did I get pissed off? No, you're on vacation. All it took was a phone call or a visit to the front desk and it was fixed in a hurry.

So with that being said, I have every reason to trash this hotel with the experiences I had with my room but I won't do that. I don't know about you, but when I go on holiday, I pick a resort for it's beach, not the room. The one thing I can say is that the bathroom fixtures really need a cleaning.

I must admit that this resort is smaller than what I usually visit when I go down to the Caribbean so you can say I've been spoiled. From what I can tell the Mares side is the better of the two in this resort but that was under construction, which I never heard the whole week I was there btw. The rooms are in a definate need of an upgrade but that will of course take time. Once both sides have been renovated this will be a 4 star in my eyes.


lunch at the beach snack bar

The food was good for Cuba. I didn't try any of the a la cartes so going to the buffet got boring every night for dinner. The beach restaurant has some good food for lunch and breakfast was fine as well at the buffet. Really no complaints about the food besides the fact that it got boring. Again, my fault since I didn't book the a la carte restaurants available for you to break up your meals during the week. Make sure you try the fried banana at the buffet with ice cream!

The beach is wonderful! Soft sugar white sand, clear turquoise blue waters, palapas everywhere! It was just magnificent. There wasn't one complaint. They even had the regular beach loungers and not the hard white plastic ones you usually see in pictures.

The place to snorkel is more of the east side of the beach towards the Paradisius. If you want bigger coral and fish, just diagonal from the wedding gazebo at the Paradisius is where you will find this. Make sure you try to go in the morning so the tide is low and calm. If you don't want to venture out that far, there is some rocks right in front of the Paradisius beach you can go to. I would suggest bringing your own snorkel kit. I did and I was glad I did. My friend had to walk all the way to the other side of the beach just to get fins and basically walk back and forth everyday. It can be tiring in the heat.



Really nothing to do here at night ,like nothing at all! Good thing they had excellent tv channels to keep you entertained if you want to stay in your room at night.

If you're looking for a resort that will fill your basic needs, this is it. If you are looking for more luxury, stay at the Paradisius next door.

Still not convinced?  See what other people think here.

No comments: